凤舞九天

 找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 155|回复: 2

摩登家庭 S02E03 Earthquake

[复制链接]

1

主题

1

帖子

3

积分

新手上路

Rank: 1

积分
3
发表于 2022-12-31 11:04:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Claire : Plumber, hi. Yeah, it's right up at the top of the stairs. Faucet just keeps leaking.
水管工,你好。就在楼上,那个水龙头一直漏水。
at the top of stair 楼上
Phil : Yeah, it's a cracked washer... If I know my washers. And it's been leaking a little water.
对,如果我够了解我的垫圈的话,我觉得它是裂了,一直漏水呢。



washer 垫圈

Plumber : Yeah, could be a washer, a cracked valve, a stripped pipe.
可能是垫圈的问题,也可能是阀门裂了,管道暴露了。

<hr/>

Mitchell : I need you to help settle a spat between our blacksmith and the chimney sweep.
回来啦?你来帮忙解决一下咱们家的打铁工和烟囱清扫工人的争执。
a spat is a short argument that is not important 小争执,争论
settle a spat是解决没那么严重的争论,比如日常的鸡毛蒜皮的小事
blacksmith 打铁工
chimney sweep 烟囱清扫工人
Pepper这次举办的主题派对叫做王尔德和疯狂午餐(wilde and crazy lunch),王尔德是维多利亚时代的人,所以Mitch和Cam要穿着维多利亚时代的装束。扫烟囱的工人和打铁工都是当时的工种,现在已经没有了。Mitchell这么说,就相当于一种戏谑,你打扮的还真像维多利亚时期的人。



维多利亚风格,跟王尔德(左)一样的斗篷

Cameron : Be nice. It took me 20 minutes to find my opera cloak.
我花了20分钟才找到这件斗篷。
cloak 斗篷
之前S01E06Manny穿着斗篷去上学,也学过斗篷的几种说法,cape和poncho
Mitchell : I still can't believe you didn't have to rent any of that.
你竟然有一件这样的斗篷,都不用去租。
Cameron : Oh, please. Do you know how many times this has paid for itself?
拜托,你不知道买这件衣服有多值。
pay for itself 值回购买价,物超所值

<hr/>

Cameron : Well, our friend Pepper loves to throw theme parties.
Pepper超爱办主题派对。
Mitchell : You have to assume a character. I can't believe you ever dated him.
而且要求我们进行角色扮演。真不敢相信你们约会过。
assume means pretend to have a different name or be someone you're not 假装成另一个样子、人
Cameron : One date. It was the '90s. We'd just lost Princess Di. I was at sea.
就一次,都上个世纪的事儿了。当时戴安娜王妃刚往生,当时我都懵了,才会和他约会。
at sea means completely confused, and can't decide what to do 迷茫,茫然不知所措
像在大海中失去方向的船只(四面八方都没有参照物)

<hr/>

Gloria : Jay, what are you wearing? You can't go to church like that.
Jay,你穿的是啥呀,可不能穿着这一身去教堂啊。
Jay : Well, that settles it, then. I'm going golfing.
那这样决定了,我去打高尔夫球。
"That settles it." is used to saying that you have made a decision 表明你已经做好决定了
句末加then,意为“那就……”
Gloria : You're gonna miss church again? Last Sunday, you said that you had to go to the office. The week before, you had breakfast with a friend.
你又不去教堂做礼拜?上个星期天,你说你要去公司。上上个星期,你说要跟朋友去吃早餐。
miss means not to do something, especially something planned 不做……
eg. Often I miss breakfast and have an early lunch instead. 通常我都不吃早餐,直接早点吃午饭。
S02E01 中也有一个类似的词组,skip something也是不做某事
Manny : And before that, you thought you had a cold that turned out not to be a cold.
上上上个星期,你说感觉要感冒了,结果也没感冒。
Jay : Because I babied it.
因为我好好休养了。
baby as a verb means to treat with care[1] 用心照料
eg. baby a sore throat 休养疼痛的嗓子
Gloria : Are you gonna go to church next week?
那你下周会去教堂吗?
Jay : We'll see.
再说吧。
"We'll see." is used for saying that you will decide later 再看吧,之后再说吧
Gloria : I know what "we'll see" means. If you're done with church, just say it.
你每次这么说就是不去。如果你不想去,就直说吧。

<hr/>

Mitchell : Uh, I'm on the other line with them right now. One second. Hello? Oh, shoot, we lost Phil.
嗯,我现在正在跟他们在另一线通话中。等一下,喂?噢,Phil挂了。
on the line means speaking on the telephone 正在通话
Gloria : We lost Phil?!
Phil死了?
lost someone 既有和某人失去联系的意思,也能用来说某人去世了
Gloria : Hello?
喂?
Mitchell : Great. Now Gloria's gone.
这下好了,Gloria也挂了。
someone's gone 人走了,也可以表示离线了

<hr/>

Phil : For months, Claire has been after me and dogging me... "what if we have an earthquake? We've got kids in the house." Blah blah blah. So it finally reached the point where I had no choice but to just roll up my sleeves and tell her I did it.
这几个月以来,Claire都一直唠叨我,“地震来了怎么办?我们有孩子在家啊。”等等,导致我受不了了,不得不卷起袖子,假装我已经安好柜子了。
after someone 跟着别人背后,追着别人的感觉
dog someone means to follow someone closely in a way that annoys them (让人烦的)紧跟,尾随
roll up the sleeve means prepare for hard work 挽起袖子,准备干活
Phil : Okay, here's the thing. I wasn't pushing. In fact, I was pulling a little. It dawned on me that as long as Claire was stuck in the bathroom, I'd have time to anchor the cabinet to the wall.
好吧,说实话,我没有推门。实际上,我还往回拉了。我突然想到,只要Claire一直锁在厕所里,我就有时间把橱柜钉到墙上。
it dawns on someone means someone start to realize/understand something 使……意识到/明白
和 S01E14 中的it hits me是同一个意思,都是突然意识到,突然想到
anchor means to make something stay in one position by fastening 使……固定、牢固
Plumber : Get a crowbar if you have one!
如果你有撬棍就带上吧。
crowbar 撬棍,一般用来撬开门、箱子,所以这里打不开门需要用到这个工具。网上可以搜到很多消防员用撬棍开门的视频



crowbar 撬棍

Phil : What is that supposed to mean? Like I'm some dandy who doesn't have a crowbar?
什么意思?你觉得我是那种没有撬棍的花架子吗?
dandy 是在意衣着、高雅用词,实际上不会干活的男人,在强调自己动手的美国,才让人觉得带有贬义吧
Phil : "Dandy" is a term coined by miners in the 15th century.
“花架子”是15世纪的矿工创造出来的词。
coin means invent a new word or phrase 创造……(特别是指词汇)

<hr/>

Haley : Come on. Just cover for me this one time, and I'll drive you wherever you want.
求求了,就帮我掩饰一下,之后我可以开车带你去任何地方。
cover for someone means to prevent someone from getting into trouble by lying for them 帮……掩护,撒谎来帮别人逃脱罪责
Alex : I want to go to the Museum of Tolerance.
我想去宽容博物馆。
Haley : Fine. How far is tolerance?
行吧,容忍有什么难的?
Claire : I can hear the two of you scheming out there! Don't you dare leave this house!
我可以听到你们两个在门外密谋。你试试看离开这个家。
scheme means making secret plans to gain something for oneself (为了自己的得益而进行的)密谋
"Don't you dare (do something)" 用来警告别人,别做某事,不然你就生气了
Haley : Oh, why do you have to be such a psycho control freak?!
噢,你为什么一定要像个变态控制狂一样?
psycho 神经病,我第一时间就想到大S吐槽小S的那句:“已经不是crazy了,而是psycho!”
control freak 控制狂

<hr/>

Cameron : And there's water damage. There's water everywhere. A bookshelf fell on Mitchell's leg. Mitchell's hurt real bad.
这里被水淹了,到处都是水。书架砸到Mitch腿上了,伤势很严重。
water damage 水灾,这个水灾跟洪水造成的水灾(flood damage)不一样,指的是供水系统造成的危害,比如爆水管导致的家具生锈、木地板泡烂了、发霉等
Cameron : Pepper, no! He's coming over. See? Kind of panicked.
Pepper听说后要过来看我们了。看吧,都说我会紧张啦。
Mitchell : You did panic, Cam. You panicked real bad.
你确实很紧张,真的很紧张。
real bad 表达强调,真的很糟糕,真的很严重

<hr/>

Jay : Send me a sign! I mean, throw in a little lightning! Put on a show!
给我个暗示吧,比如,让雷劈我吧。小宇宙大爆发吧。
put on a show 来吧,轰轰烈烈的表演一次,给我看看你的极限
Manny : I think I'm gonna skip it today.
我今天也不想去了。
Gloria : What?! Don't listen to him. His days are numbered!
什么?别听他的,他剩下的日子不多了,屈指可数。
"sb/sth's days are numbered" is used to say someone/something will die/end soon 剩下的日子不多了,事情快结束了,或者人快挂了
numbered 有种进入倒计时状态的意思,屈指可数了
Gloria : Fine! See what I care! Go!
好啊,你们去吧,关我屁事,去吧。
"See if/what I care!" means I absolutely don't care at all 表达对于别人做的事情完全不在意

<hr/>

Phil : This cabinet barely moved. That's just perspective playing tricks on your mind. Like if I hold up my thumb, it looks bigger than your head.
这个柜子根本就没动,不过是角度产生的视觉错位罢了,就像我举起大拇指,从我这个角度看,比你的头还大。
如果你的感官 play tricks on you,说明感官出现了错觉
eg. I thought I heard something - my ears must have been playing tricks on me. 我还以为听到了什么呢,原来是出现了幻觉,听错了。

<hr/>

Plumber : It was the boy. And then it hit me why this kid drove me so crazy. He's me.
男孩更烦人。我突然意识到为什么他让我那么火大。因为他就是曾经的我。
drive someone crazy means to make someone annoyed 使……抓狂,逼疯……
Claire : Well, all the more reason she should listen to me. I can stop her from making the same mistakes.
那她更应该听我的了。我能让她不要重蹈覆辙。
all the more reason means 口语上强调,更应该……
Luke : Hey, mom. I brought you some soda. I was going to bring you wine, But you finished the big bottle last night.
妈妈,我给你拿了些苏打水。本来想拿酒的,但是你昨天都喝完了。
Claire : Okay. Off you go.
行了,别说了,你走吧。
"Off you go." is said to let someone leave. 让别人离开,“你可以走了”

<hr/>

Jay : Mitchell used to caddy for me. Of course, he spent most of his time chasing butterflies.
Mitchell曾经给我当过球童。当然了,大部分时间他都在追蝴蝶。
Manny : You won't catch me doing that.
我不会追蝴蝶的。
catch sb doing sth means to find/see someone doing something 正好看到、发现某人正在做某事
Jay : Good for you.
好孩子。
当别人说"Good for you."时,表示的是对你的认同、赞许
Manny : So you're not worried about getting in trouble? You know, with god?
那你不担心被上帝惩罚吗?
Jay : Oh, I think he's got bigger things on his plate. And there's no hell.
他有更重要的事情要忙。其实没有地狱。
bigger 不是更多而是更重要
Manny : Seriously? No hell? So everyone just goes to heaven?
真的假的?没有地狱?那死后都去天堂咯?
Jay : Yep. End of story.
对。话题结束。
"end of story" is used to emphasize that there is nothing more to add 表示你说完了,结束了,没有更多想说的了

<hr/>

Manny : I'm thinking about this heaven of your that's full of bad people.
我在想充满坏人的天堂。
Jay : Not full. The tiniest fraction, they're walled in. They're surrounded by a lake of fire.
不是全都是坏人。只有一小部分,而且被关起来了。墙外就是火湖。
wall in something means to surround something with a wall 用墙圈起来、围起来
Manny : There are fiery lakes in heaven? This is turning into hell.
天堂还有火湖?这下跟地狱一样了。
Jay : Tell me about it.
可不是嘛。
"tell me about it." is used to express that you feel the same way or have had the same experience 表示认同,你跟对方有一样的感受,或一样的经历
Manny觉得Jay描述的天堂就跟地狱似的,而Jay觉得Manny叨叨不停,害他无法享受高尔夫,也使得他的天堂变得跟地狱一样

<hr/>

Cameron : I quit. You might be comfortable with all this lying, but I'm not.
我退出。你可能觉得撒谎没什么大不了,但我不舒服。
Mitchell : Oh, please. Where was all this conscience when I got us into the first-class lounge at the airport and you chewed Angela Lansbury's ear off. You know what you are? You're like a mob wife. You look down at me and my ways, but you're happy to wear the mink coat that fell off the back of the truck!
拜托,别装了。当我撒谎让我们能进机场贵宾厅,使得你有幸跟Angela Lansbury聊到天荒地老的时候,没见你这么有良知呀。你知道你是什么人吗?你就是,虽然看不起我的做法,但你还是爱穿我偷的貂皮大衣。
chew/talk someone's ear off means to talk to someone for a long time such that cause one to become bored or exhausted 不停地聊,聊到别人都烦了
mob wife 黑帮的女人?中文好像没有对应的词,就是指一边享受着黑帮所带来的的钱财和安全感,一边还指责自己的涉黑的另一半挣来的钱不干净
look down at someone means to regard something as inferior to oneself 看不起
mink coat 貂皮大衣
fall off the back of the truck 俚语,偷的,非法获得的。不好直说这是非法取得的,用“碰巧从货车上掉下来的”来掩饰,但其实就说明了不是这个物品的合法所有者。

<hr/>

Mitchell : I'm gonna make you a cocktail.
我来给你倒杯鸡尾酒吧。
Pepper : Oh, honey. Don't go to any trouble.
噢,亲爱的,别麻烦了。
Cameron : We didn't want to come to your party. They've just gotten to be so much work over the years, and...
我们也不想去你的派对。这么多年来,这个派对变成了沉重的负担……
Pepper : For 15 years, I have killed myself setting a community standard with my fanciful themed brunches mounted at great personal expense. Well, clearly, I've been a fool.
15年来,我自己出钱举办的梦幻派对提高了社区的标准。现在看来,我就是个傻子。
mount means to organize and begin an activity or event 组织……,举办……(活动)
at someone's expense means someone pay for something 由……来支付
Cameron : Yeah. I told him.
我刚把实话告诉Pepper了。
Mitchell : Yeah, I puzzled that out.
嗯,我听出来了。
puzzle something out means to understand by thinking carefully about it 想明白,搞懂了

<hr/>

Manny : You seemed pretty sure of yourself this morning. So what happens after you die? There's just nothing?
你今早看起来很确定。那么我们死后会去哪里?死了就什么也没有了?
be sure of oneself means be very confident of one's view 非常相信自己的观点,很确定,很自信
Jay : Look, you're focusing too much on one little thing that I said. It was just a hunch, okay?
你太在意我说的那一两句话了。那只是一个直觉罢了。
hunch means a feeling or facts based on intuition instead of known facts 直觉
Manny : A hunch? I'm skipping church based on a hunch?!
直觉?!我因为一个直觉不去教堂做礼拜?!
Manny : You're playing pretty fast and loose with my soul.
你怎么能这么玩弄我的灵魂。
play fast and loose means to behave in a clever and dishonest way 玩弄……
起源于集市中的一种赌博游戏,赌徒用一条链子两个圈圈,让人赌哪一个是实环,哪一个是虚环。大家将手指放到认定的圈里,赌徒一拉,便知道哪一个是实的。这里的fast并不是快的意思,而是固定的、牢固的,实环便是牢固的,而虚环就是松的(loose)。这个游戏通常都是骗子用来骗钱的,所以渐渐衍生出了玩弄、欺骗的意思。



这是fast



这是loose

<hr/>

Phil : Yeah. It's very heavy, and because it was properly anchored to the wall, there's sort of a ripple effect. It was... pulling part of the floor down... and then pushing part of the floor up, using the bathroom door... Please don't tell on me.
对,这个柜子很重,它固定在墙上,经过一系列连锁反应,地震的时候,柜子将上一层的地板往下拉,使得地板另一头往上翘,导致厕所门……请别告发我。
ripple effect 涟漪反应,连锁反应
tell/tattle on someone means to give information to the authority about something bad the person has said/done 告发某人

<hr/>

Pepper : I can't stand that I'm coming between you! Not that I'm surprised. I admit I have noticed the stolen glances and the yearning in your eyes.
噢,我不是来当小三的。但也不奇怪,我之前就注意到你暗送秋波,还有你眼中对我的渴望。
come between someone means to harm the relationship between two people 介入别人的感情,破坏别人的关系
"not that" is used before a phrase to mean the opposite of what follows it, means you're not suggesting something 表示否定,所以Not that I'm surprised = I'm not surprised.
steal a glance at someone means to look at someone quickly and secretly 偷看某人
stolen glance 就是偷看的眼神
yearning means the strong feeling of wishing for something, especially something you can't get easily 想要,渴求
Mitchell : Well, you'll forgive us, Pepper, if we sit out your next few brunches?
那下次不参加你的早午餐,你不会介意的对吧?
sit out means not take part in an event or activity 不参与……(活动)
Pepper : Absolutely. I would hate to lose you two. I've always thought of you as being like my...
当然了,我也不想失去你们两个。我一直都把你们当做我的……
think of sb/sth as sb/sth means to consider sb/sth in a particular way[2] 把……看做……
eg. I've got nowhere that I think of as a home.  哪儿都不是我的家。
eg. She is the only woman whom I can ever think of as my wife. 我只想要她当我老婆。

<hr/>

Alex : Dad was incredible! He was running around here turning off the gas line, cleaning up broken glass, and taking care of Luke after he ran into a wall.
刚刚爸爸很给力,忙着关掉燃气,清理碎玻璃,照顾撞墙受伤的Luke。
run around means to be very busy doing a lot of different things 忙碌、奔波,可不是到处跑的意思
gas line 输送煤气的管道
turn off the gas line 关掉煤气
run into the wall 撞墙



Luke ran into the wall

Phil : I don't know about you guys, but I just want to relax and put my feet up.
我不知道你们,反正我现在只想放松一下。
put the feet up 放松,形象地描述工作了一天后,回到家瘫坐在沙发上,把脚抬起来,彻底放松的样子

<hr/>

Manny : I'll put in a good word for you.
我会替你说几句好话的。
put in a (good) word means saying good things about someone 帮别人美言几句,说好话
参考


  • ^https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/baby
  • ^https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/think-of-as
回复

使用道具 举报

1

主题

3

帖子

3

积分

新手上路

Rank: 1

积分
3
发表于 2022-12-31 11:04:49 | 显示全部楼层
等了好久终于等到今天,等了好久终于把梦实现!先评再看!
回复

使用道具 举报

1

主题

2

帖子

4

积分

新手上路

Rank: 1

积分
4
发表于 2022-12-31 11:05:37 | 显示全部楼层
哈哈哈您太可爱了[害羞]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表